Monday, May 05, 2014

To Brew or...Play Hockey?

So, there's a little thing going on in Pittsburgh right now known as Playoff Hockey. I like the game, but I don't generally follow it all that closely. The games are rarely on TV, so most of the time I forget about it. I usually only start to pay attention when the Penguins are in the playoffs. And the fact that the Pens are playing the New York Rangers in this round brought about this post.

Hockey plays a bit part in TO BREW OR NOT TO BREW. Max's new assistant and chef is a former hockey player. Jake Lambert is Pittsburgh born and bred, but most recently played for the New York Rangers. He had to retire a couple of years early (for reasons I won't disclose here--you'll have to read the book!). The Rangers aren't exactly one of the Pittsburgh fans' favorite teams. (I'd put them pretty much near the bottom of the list ever since Adam Graves slashed Mario Lemieux and broke his hand back in 1992.)

In one scene, Jake touches on what it was like for him to play for the "enemy". He tells Max he'd get called a traitor--and worse, but now that he's back in Pittsburgh, he's like the Prodigal Son--the hometown kid who did good. It's a cute scene, if I do say so myself. I especially like Max's reaction when the waiter assumes they're a couple and Jake doesn't correct him. You see, Max has had a crush on Jake since she was a kid, but since Jake is her brother's best friend, she knows the feeling isn't mutual. Or is it?

I guess you'll just have to wait to find out.

No comments: