Sunday, February 23, 2014

What Kind of Music?

As I'm sitting here on Sunday morning listening to a Casey Kasem American Top 40 show from 1972 on the oldies station, I couldn't help wondering what kind of music my protagonist Max would listen to.

My tastes vary quite a bit. At any given moment I could be listening to Oldies (preferably from the 70s), Contemporary Christian, Country, Classical, or Big Band from the 30s and 40s. I could possibly tolerate Heavy Metal, but I wouldn't choose to listen to it. But never ever Rap--HATE it.

When I was writing In Spite of Murder with my West Virginia police secretary character, I listened to a lot of country music, because that's what Irma Jean liked. A previous character, ex-cop Summer Evans, liked classic rock. When I work on my WWII story (which will remain unfinished for awhile, I'm afraid), I listen to Big Band.

Even though I know a lot about Max already, I realized I have no idea what kind of music she'd like. I seriously doubt she'd listen to the same things I do. I can't see her listening to oldies. Her parents--yes. Her brother, Sean, the Catholic priest, might listen to CCM. Her other brothers--who knows?

If I tell you a little about Max, could you help me out? Max (Maxine) O'Hara is Irish Catholic. A Pittsburgher. She's the youngest in her family, with five older brothers. Her mother is a homemaker, her father is a homicide detective. Max is 5'2" tall, with black hair in a pixie cut and blue eyes. She's around 30 years old. She has a Master's degree in Chemistry and spent the last few years in Germany studying brewing under a German brewmaster.

What do you think? What kind of music would Max like? What should I be listening to? Your suggestions would be appreciated. Just don't say rap. After all, I invented Max. One thing I know: she doesn't like rap either.  

No comments: