Thursday, April 12, 2012

Mapmaker, Mapmaker...

Last night hubby was laughing because I was standing at the bar in the gameroom drawing this:


I'll admit I'm not exactly an artist, and it's definitely not to scale, but it's a map of Spite--the town in my book, In Spite of Murder.

I'm writing the follow up book and I got tired of opening the file for ISoM (an acronym Meredith Barnes came up with) and searching to make sure certain locations are where they're supposed to be. Hence the map. I figured as I add locations in the WIP, I can add them to the map. In the future when a reader emails me and says, "Such and such isn't on Main Street, it's on X..." I can whip out the map and say, "Oh, yes it is, nyah, nyah." Although I probably wouldn't say, "nyah, nyah."

Hey, if it's good enough for Carolyn Hart and Nevada Barr, it's good enough for little old me.

Writers--What tricks or devices do you use so you don't forget things from one book to the next?
Readers--Do you like having a map in a book to show you around?

10 comments:

Meredith Barnes said...

This is great! More writers should realize (literally) their locations like this!

Joyce Tremel said...

Thanks, Mer! I also have photos of a town in West Virginia that I imagine Spite looks a lot like.

Jenna said...

I'm reading a Deborah Crombie right now, and she has gorgeous maps in all of her books. They're so the readers can follow along and know where things are, obviously, but it's a good idea to draw them for yourself too, so you don't forget the layout of your town. I haven't quite gotten to that point yet, although in the latest DIY mystery - the one that comes out in September - I had to draw an apartment building to keep track of who lived where. That way, I could make sure that when someone said they'd heard noises above or below or across the hall at such and such time, it would be the person I intended it to be. :-)

Joyce Tremel said...

Ooh, I'm so excited! I got comments!

Jenna, I'm pretty sure if I was the one writing your DIYs I'd need a map.

I think it's much harder to keep track when the towns only exist in our imaginations.

Jenna said...

Check this out: it's the link to Deborah's website page with the maps and background. Gorgeous!

http://www.deborahcrombie.com/the-maps

Cyn said...

That's awesome! I had to make a map of my setting the first day of drafting because I couldn't remember if people were turning left or right to go somewhere. :)

Your map is MUCH better than mine, though!

Joyce Tremel said...

Another comment! Yay!

I'm glad you liked my map, Cyn. My first version was little scribbles on a notebook page. When I decided I wanted something legible and more permanent, I got out the ruler and Sharpie.

I really wish I could do a 3-D rendering that looks exactly how I imagine it, but that's way beyond my abilities. Hubby thinks I should buy a bunch of little toy buildings and make a diorama.

Annette said...

I have a map of my fictional racetrack in my notes, too. I pulled up a Google earth photo of the real place I was basing it on, traced it onto a sheet of paper and then altered it to fit my story.

By the way, YOUR map is much neater than mine!

Cyn said...

Yes to the diorama! Brilliant!

Joyce Tremel said...

Annette, brilliant minds think alike I see.

Cyn, if I need a way to procrastinate while I'm writing...