Sunday, January 17, 2010

Now I Know

It seemed like every time I turned on the TV last week there was a commercial for the Starving Artists sale being held this weekend at some local Pittsburgh hotels. The last time I went to one, the so-called art was pretty pitiful, but I'd gotten a couple of decent paintings in the past, so I thought I'd try it again.

Big mistake.

I spent about thirty minutes looking at paintings at the Holiday Inn and the nicest thing I can say is that the paintings were colorful. Most of them looked like someone passed out a bunch of paint by number canvasses to a sixth grade art class.

When I Googled "Starving Artist Sale"  I found one site that stated the art was mass-produced for next-to-nothing in China. From the looks of it, it doesn't surprise me a bit.

Gives a whole new meaning to the term "Starving Artist."

1 comment:

Annette said...

Jeez, what a rip-off. They make you want to think you're helping support some starving artist's dream of "making it." Or least help them buy lunch.

I've never been to one of those sales and never will now. Thanks for the heads-up.