Thursday, June 11, 2009

A Capitol Time

A couple of weeks ago, hubby and I went to visit our firstborn who lives in Virginia. He works at the US Capitol, and on Saturday afternoon he gave us a personal tour of the building. I took lots of pictures, so I thought I'd give everyone a little mini-tour.

The first photo shows the view of the Capitol as we approached from the Capitol South Metro station.


Next, is the view from the other side of the building.



This is the inside of the new Visitor's Center, which opened in December 2008.



Inside the Rotunda.









Old Supreme Court Chamber. This was used by the Supreme Court from 1810 until 1860.




The Brumidi Corridors on the first floor of the Senate Wing.





The view from the top of the Old Post Office.




The riverfront in Alexandria.


If you've never been to our nation's capital, I highly recommend it. It's extremely easy to get around the city (I love the Metro!), the people are friendly, the buildings are really cool, and for history geeks like me, there's plenty to do. Make those reservations now!

4 comments:

jody stuart said...

Great pictures, Joyce. Now, when is your next trip to Gettysburg ?

Joyce said...

Hi Jody! Long time, no see! You weren't at Pennwriters this year, were you?

We're going to try and make it to Gettysburg soon. We haven't been there for a couple of years, so we haven't even seen the new Visitor's Center yet.

jody stuart said...

No... couldn't make it to Pennwriters this year - much sadness in jodyland. Oh well... there's always next year.
The new Visitor's Center is awesome, but it's been bringing in a lot more people, so it seems more crowded.
Just give me a shout when you'll be in the area. I'm now on the board of directors for the Haldeman Mansion Preservation Society (historic site in Bainbridge). I'd love to take you on a private tour of the place. with your love of history, I think you'd enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

Hey Joyce
Little behind on checking in on your blog....great pics. We need to get up to DC sometime soon and do some sightseeing. It has been quite a while since we were up there....not to mention, to get a tour of the Capitol, conducted by my very own nephew....and your #1 son. Hope to see you sometime next month....Amy :)