Thursday, January 08, 2009

This Freaks Me Out


Read this article and tell me if it freaks you out as much as it does me:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09008/940371-114.stm

Apparently, one of the side effects of a glaucoma drug is that it gives users longer and thicker eyelashes. The manufacturer decided to seek FDA approval for dispensing the drug for that purpose.

The drops can also PERMANENTLY darken your eye color. Suzan Obagi, a dermatologist interviewed in the article states, "I'm going to dispense it judiciously. If the darkening of the eye color can be permanent, that raises red flags. I need to see what the studies found about the effect on the pigment-making cells in the skin, because those can produce not just color but melanoma."

Possible melanoma. In your eye.

Is this going to be one of the many drugs approved, that several years down the road the FDA will say, "Oops, never mind--it's dangerous after all"?

I don't know about you, but I'm not messing with my eyes. I'll stick to mascara.

1 comment:

Annette said...

Those people that get eye liner tattooed onto their eyelids freak me out, too. Come on, people! Support your cosmetics industry!