Monday, October 13, 2008

Bouchercon Burn Out

Annette and I made it home just fine from Bouchercon, but I'm afraid my brain is fried. Last night, I was trying to tell my husband about everything that went on and I felt like I was leaving so much out. I had all this stuff in my head trying to get out at the same time. I probably sounded like a babbling idiot. I'm sure for the next few days I'll be using the phrase, "Oh! I forgot to tell you..."

Anyway, I'll try to summarize what we did. Maybe.

Wednesday is kind of a blur. We arrived at the Radisson Lord Baltimore and checked into our room on the 14th floor, which is really the 13th floor. Perfect for mystery writers. The Radisson is an older hotel, and I was surprised to see that you could open the windows. I squelched the "what if" that bubbled up in my brain at that point. I didn't have time to contemplate a new plot right then. After we got settled, we crossed over to the Sheraton and headed to the registration table. We received a fantastic bag full of free books and magazines, and got a nifty little pouch to wear around our necks. The pouch had our names and the state where we lived on the front, along with a pocket schedule of the activities. I don't remember what we did after that, other than eating a delicious crabcake sandwich in Shula's 2, the hotel restaurant.

Annette and I actually got up at six on Thursday morning and went to the gym. (Don't be so impressed--it's the ONLY day we went.) The first panels were at 8:30. Annette went to one about e-zines, and I went to the one Robin Burcell was moderating. Photo from left to right: Sean Chercover, Julia Spencer-Fleming, James O. Born, Robin Burcell, and Vince O'Neil.

Robin has a new book, Face of a Killer, coming out next month featuring an FBI forensic artist, which sounds fantastic.

I skipped the next panel to volunteer for an hour in the hospitality suite sponsored by Sisters in Crime. There was plenty of coffee for bleary-eyed conference goers, along with goodies like pastries, yogurt, fruit and granola bars.
The panel I attended at 11:30 was about getting cops right in fiction, moderated by author and cop Dave Case. I didn't learn anything new, but it was interesting to hear authors Michael Black, Martin Edwards, John McFetridge, Caroline Todd, and Raffi Yessayan.

After that, we were off to the Sisters in Crime luncheon in the ballroom of the Radisson. We enjoyed a delicious lunch and got to see outgoing president, Roberta Isleib, turn over the Great Seal to our new president, Judy Clemens. More to come...

1 comment:

Annette said...

Oh, gosh, your brain isn't as dead as mine. I'm glad you posted this to remind me of all the fun we had.