Friday, August 08, 2008

To Kilt or Not to Kilt


Don't anyone faint. Two posts in two days might just be a record for me. I saw this article and I couldn't resist. When I first spotted the headline on my home page, I thought it was from The Onion. Then I looked again and it was in the regular news section.

Postal employee Dean Peterson (left), who is 6 feet tall and weighs 250 pounds wants to make a kilt an optional part of the official uniform. Although the idea was defeated at the postal union convention last month, Peterson is not giving up. He plans to bring it before the convention in 2010. He says kilts are comfortable and he wears them everywhere--to his sons' activities and even gardening. (I hope he's careful bending over.)

While I have no problem if someone wants to wear a kilt, I guess I don't quite get it. If I have a choice between wearing pants or a skirt, the pants win every time. I've never yet put on a dress that was as comfortable as an old pair of blue jeans. How about you? Male or female--would you prefer a kilt instead of pants?

And if you pick the kilt, we want photos!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd wear a kilt if I could find the Oliphant clan's colors. Well, maybe...

Anonymous said...

You only have one blog entry with the kilt tag. You need more.

Sharon said...

A Few Thoughts: >Could this be a case of 'the grass is always greener'? European men have far fewer options in clothing than women so maybe he's trying to even the playing field. >Being of Scottish descent I think its a great idea. I'm not so old that I can't appreciate a great set of knees! C'mon you guys, strut your stuff. >An elderly friend, veteran of the european theater WWII, said the kilted scottish troops were called "The Ladies From Hell" and were very popular with the Americans. The European version of the 'Berserkers', they were fierce and deadly fighters. Troops who laughed at the skirts didn't do so for very long. >To be noted also, the kilt was THE uniform of the highlands until it was made illegal to wear the kilt or tartans by the British Crown.
>Last but not least, Oliphant, try the Buchanan plaid. Your name has lowlander ties as adversed to highlander but so do the Buchanan!
Here's hoping to see more knees soon!