Thursday, June 26, 2008

Vacation

We just spent a wonderful few days in Virginia. We picked up Andrew from his seasonal job as a Park Ranger at Prince William Forest Park (check out the July 5 Ranger program) and headed down to Williamsburg.

Busch Gardens is the greatest amusement park in the world. I have to say, though, that my legs don't take the twelve hour days walking around the park like they used to. Thank heavens for the Festhaus and Grogan's Pub. If anyone asks, all that beer was for medicinal purposes only. And I highly recommend Griffon, the new roller coaster. Awesome. Best ride ever.

After two days at the park, we checked out the Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville battlefields. We even stopped at the Stonewall Jackson Shrine. Yes, believe it or not, he has a shrine. I don't quite get that logic. Most people have memorials, not shrines. But then again, it's the south.

Anyway, we had a great time. See below for some photos of the trip.

3 comments:

Annette said...

Vacations are wonderful things, aren't they?

I used to love roller coasters, but since I injured my neck falling off that stupid horse 17 years ago, I live in mortal fear of them. The wooden ones are okay, but the last steel one I rode was the old Steel Phantom and it whipped me sideways so hard I had a headache for three solid days. Maybe I need to don one of those massive cervical collar brace things and then go on the ride.

Welcome home, Joyce.

Joyce said...

Annette, you would definitely be able to ride Griffon. Nothing at all like the Steel Phantom. It's so smooth you can hardly hear it on the track. And it goes straight down!

Apollo's Chariot isn't rough either. Just stay away from the Big Bad Wolf and Alpengeist. They'll rattle your teeth out.

Kristine said...

Beautiful pictures, Joyce! Your boys are really growing up.

I also love roller coasters. The faster, the better. The spinning rides are the ones that get me. My poor tummy just can't handle them anymore.

Good to have you back.