Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Teen Idols

In honor of the release today of Season Two of the Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries on Amazon, I'm devoting this post to teen idols. Anyone else out there remember being glued to the TV on Sunday nights at 7? Back in the pre-remote control days, no one dared get up and change the channel. My sister Mimi and I would have killed anyone who tried.



My first crush was on Davy Jones of the Monkees. Maybe because we were about the same height. Or it could have been the British accent. That was also the year my mom bought me bright yellow, patent leather go-go boots. Between the boots, the little sunglasses that we called "Monkee shades," and my "Monkee shirt" with the double row of buttons, I was cool. At least I thought I was.

After that I moved on to Jack Wild, who was the little runt on H.R. Pufnstuf. Remember that show? That crush only lasted briefly because my fickle heart moved on to more mature things. Like The Partridge Family.



In seventh grade, The Partridge Family was at the height of its popularity and I fell head over heels in love with Keith Partridge, aka David Cassidy.

In school that year, we had an assignment to write our autobiographies, but we had to extend them to the year 2000. In my work of art, I became an actress and starred with David on the Partridge Family. We got married and live happily ever after. Looking back at how David's life turned out after PF, it's probably for the best that it didn't work out between us.


For the next few years there was no one in my life. I became too busy with friends, school, and beer parties on Friday nights at Clare Cook's house when her mother went to bingo.


Everything went along smoothly until that fateful Sunday night when I turned on the TV and there they were. My little heart went thumpety-thump. For the next three seasons, Mimi and I were glued to the set. She liked Joe (Shaun Cassidy), while I went for older, more mature--like myself--brother Frank (Parker Stevenson).


Growing up I read most, if not all, of the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys mysteries. It's probably part of the reason I write crime fiction. I even own a few Nancy Drew books from the 1930's that I found in an antique store. Every time I see books at a flea market, I have to check for more. There's nothing better than reading about Nancy zipping around in her Roadster.

So, who were your idols? Come on, I 'fessed up. I want to hear all your secrets!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Moondoggie!


PS---So, that's what you were doing at Clare Cook's? Did I know any of this? Your big sister, Amy

Joyce said...

Oh, a James Darren fan!

Nah, you didn't know. You were pretty clueless.

Annette said...

Joyce, we must have led parallel adolescenthoods. I, too, loved Davy Jones, David Cassidy and the Hardy Boys, although I was ga-ga over Joe, not Frank. I also had a thing for Andy Gibb and was devastated when he died.

Never got into the H.R. Pufnstuf thing, though.

Joyce said...

I forgot about Andy Gibb! I remember having his album and seeing him in concert at the Syria Mosque in Oakland.

I'll even admit to seeing Shaun Cassidy at the Civic Arena.

jody said...

Joyce and Annette, my first crush was on Davy Jones too. Then came David Cassidy and Bobby Sherman. I had Tiger Beat and Teen magazines all over my walls. Between the thumbtacks and the tape, it drove my dad crazy.

Anonymous said...

....well, my crush was on Micky Dolenz, well all the Monkees for that matter. Then I went to John Travolta in Kotter, after that I sorta grew up.....

Kristine said...

Okay, I was still in diapers in the 70's, so the 80's was my decade for teen idols. My idols were Kirk Cameron and Jon Bon Jovi. Come to think of it, though, I still have a crush on Jon Bon Jovi. Some things never change, I guess.

Fun post, Joyce!