Friday, March 02, 2007

The Big Five-O

And I don't mean Hawaii.

Next Wednesday, March 7th, I will be a half century old. That's right. Five-Zero. Half of one hundred. I don't know how this happened. Wasn't I just thirty? Or forty?

I feel like I'm living proof that age is all in your head. Sure, there are days when it's hard to drag my sorry ass out of bed and it takes an hour or so to work the kinks out of the back, but most days I don't feel any different than I did twenty years ago. I don't think I look fifty. I don't have any wrinkles and I still get zits. And if I keep my gray roots from growing in, who would know? When I think about what my mother looked like at fifty, I thank my lucky stars. I always thought Mom looked much older than she was. But then again, I was just a kid at the time. Doesn't everyone look old when you're a teenager?

I have no huge celebration plans. My family is taking me out to Claddagh's Irish Pub on Saturday March 10. It's my favorite restaurant. Feel free to stop by. I might even bake my own birthday cake. Spice cake with homemade buttercream icing, of course.

I have no big plans for this year either, other than finishing my second book. When I was thirty I had my second son. When I was forty I earned my Black Belt. I'm not sure I could top those. A publishing contract would be nice this year, though.

Okay, I've rambled long enough. I just want to say that I'm looking forward to the second half of my century. It's going to be a hoot!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joyce...as one of your big sisters, I'd like to offer an opinion about your upcoming birthday. The years have been kind to you, and you are surely more "put together" than you were 20 years ago. Who needs "30"...although I suppose one has to pass through it to get to the BIG 50? You're getting "older" AND "better". Congrats......Amy

Anonymous said...

I never thought of age in terms of decades. Very good! Since you are going to be 50, that means that I am going to be 60. I, too, do not feel 60 and I don't think I look 60 but I do have MANY more wrinkles and gray hairs than you do. I have a story for you that you have never heard: It is 1956. The family (mother, daddy, grandma, grandpap, aunt jo, amy and I) are out to dinner. Mother sure has a funny dress on today, actually it is a BIG top and skirt. I think I know what that is...my girlfriends mom wore one of those when she was having a baby. I start to sing "Mummy is having a baby, mummy is having a baby". I really didn't think so, after all I was 10 and Amy was 8...no little brothers and sisters for 8 long years so that just wouldn't be happening. Mother just smiles. Later, while mother is tucking us into bed, I am bursting with curiosity. I am almost afraid to say it but I do .....Mummy, are you having a baby?" That smile again and "yes we are". There were few times in my life that I was so happy. As a ten year old, I actually cried with joy (not in front of my mother or sister of course). "Thank you God. Thank you so much. I want a baby sister." And , as only God can bless, He gave me you....Your big sis, Carole

Judy Schneider said...

Joyce, Happy, Happy Birthday! You are right, you don't look 50! In fact, you don't look 40! I enjoyed reading your sister Carole's loving story, although it makes me a little nervous -- will God answer my nine-year old's prayers for a new baby brother?

This WILL be your year, Joyce. I feel a book contract is just around the corner! Best to you! Judy

Annette said...

Happy Birthday, Joyce. You look mah-volous, dahling. And I would not have guessed that you were coming up on the big five-o. Of course, if you hear footsteps behind you, it's just me, also creeping up on the half-century mark.

Kristine said...

Hey Joyce...If I can say so, you don't look anywhere near 50! I hope you had a great birthday, my friend. Here's to a great year for you!