Monday, January 01, 2007

Goals

Well, here it is, a brand new year.

A lot of people make resolutions for the new year, but I don't. A resolution is so final. To me it seems like setting yourself up for failure. I think setting goals is a much better idea.

Goals are something to reach for while a resolution is "make it or break it." Many studies show that people who set goals end up much further along whatever path they're taking than those who don't. The opposite is true of making a resolution. Most resolutions are broken before the end of January.

The trick to setting goals is to make them attainable. Don't say your goal is to earn a million dollars this year when you don't even have a job. Make getting a job your goal instead. Don't say you want to lose fifty pounds this year. Make your goal eating right and exercising more.

I have lots of goals, but the ones I want to focus on this year are:
  1. Write the best I can and do whatever my agent needs me to do to get that publishing contract. This includes finishing the second book and starting the third.
  2. Attend a few conferences. I'm already planning to attend the Pennwriters conference in May. I'd like to attend another one later in the year.
  3. Keep eating right and exercise more consistently. I managed to lose five pounds in December without dieting. I just watched my portions. I don't need as much food as I think I do!

That's it. Three simple goals.

So what are your goals for 2007?

4 comments:

Annette said...

Those are great goals, Joyce. So often I hear writers say their "goal" is to get published this year, when we really don't have total control over that. Better to focus on the things you CAN do toward making that happen. And you're well on your way!

Anonymous said...

I think you have a bad link to that Police Writers thing. It comes up funky.

Andy

Joyce said...

I fixed the link.

Anonymous said...

My Hero!

Your sister, Amy