Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Bah Humbug!

Don't get me wrong. I like Christmas. Actually I love Christmas. But would someone please tell the stores and the media that Christmas is in December!

I turned on my radio Monday afternoon expecting to hear the normal soft rock that the station usually plays. To my surprise they were playing Christmas music. (Excuse me, they call it Holiday Music.) Maybe it's just me, but it's not even Thanksgiving yet. I haven't thought about buying the turkey or anything else that goes with it. Halloween was just two weeks ago. The weather has been mild. I haven't even gotten my winter coat cleaned yet, and we're supposed to be dreaming of a White Christmas? I don't think so.

Every year it seems that the Christmas season (and for those of you who prefer the word holiday--get over it already! It's Christmas. Period. End of discussion) arrives earlier and earlier. In the past, no one put up decorations or trees until at least mid-December. Whatever happened to Santa Claus putting up the tree when he delivered the toys? That was one of the magical things about Christmas morning. What could be better than a room full of toys and a beautifully lit six foot tree?

Should we blame it on the retail stores? After all, the longer the season, the more money they make (theoretically, anyway). My feeling is that most people have a set amount they spend for gifts, and the length of the shopping season doesn't matter. The people who like to get their shopping done early, do it so they don't have to deal with the crowds and overpriced products. One year, I was finished shopping by September, but that was only because I was pregnant and due in January. I was approaching beached whale status and didn't think I'd fit up the store aisles if I waited.

Maybe we should blame it on the fast pace of today's world. It seems like everyone has to have something to plan for. Play dates are scheduled for the kids. If we have time, we might pencil in a friend for lunch or dinner. Everyone is on the go all the time. There's never any down time.

What I suggest is that everyone take a deep breath and relax. Don't think about Christmas yet. Next week is Thanksgiving. Let's all think about what we're thankful for and just enjoy the day. Spend some time with your family. Eat lots of turkey and have some dessert for a change. Play a game or watch a movie. Take some time to rest and recharge.

Then hit the stores on Friday. By then I'll be ready!

1 comment:

Kristine said...

I agree with you. I refuse to do anything Christmas-related until the day after Thanksgiving.