Thursday, August 17, 2006

How Would You Cast Your Novel?


Several days ago on another blog, the authors were talking about who they would cast if their books were made into movies. They all concluded that chances of that happening were pretty slim, but it was a fun exercise anyway.

After that, I couldn't help but try to come up with my own "cast," which is really a stretch, since I'm not even published yet. I don't go to movies and I watch very little TV, so this was a problem. When I write, I have a definite picture in my mind of what my characters look like, but pinning it down to "real people" is hard! I came up with a couple of "maybes."

For my protagonist Summer, who is an ex-cop, martial arts instructor, I thought of two actresses who might work: Jill Hennessey from Crossing Jordan or Mariska Hargitay from Law and Order, SVU.



Casting Neil would be much harder. One suggestion I was given was David James Elliott from the TV show JAG, but I don't know. He's not quite what I pictured.


In the book I'm working on now, the second in the series, there's a hunky FBI agent who I describe as an updated, 40-something version of Sonny Crockett from Miami Vice.

I realize Don Johnson is probably too old at this point, but you get the idea.

I'd like to hear from everyone else on this. How would you cast your book if given the opportunity?

Don't be shy! This could be fun!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Joyce

I never thought of Summer as a brunette. I was thinking more of the Meg Ryan type....and Sunny Crockett?? No way!

Your nosy sister...Amy

Joyce said...

Actually Summer describes her hair as a "shoulder-length auburn mess," so technically it's reddish brown, but I'm willing to sell out.

Your sister Mimi said...

I didn't picture David James Elliott as Neil either but I'd watch just about anything he's in...eye candy, don't ya know?