Thursday, March 02, 2006

Productivity and Laptops

I bought a laptop. I know I'm a little behind the times--every writer has one, right? I could be so much more productive, squeeze in more writing time, get that &*^%$ second book written. At least that's what I told myself to justify the purchase.

You know what? I was right!

I've written ten pages so far this week. I know that doesn't sound like much--some writers I know average that many in a day. But for someone whose first forty pages took months to write, it's a big deal. I've been taking it to work with me every day and writing on my lunch hour. Every evening, after dinner is over, I clean up the kitchen and do whatever else needs done, then I plop my butt down on the couch and write. Before the laptop, I'd just plop my butt down--forget about writing anything. After spending all day at work at a desktop computer, the last thing I wanted to do at night was sit at another desk. It was a real struggle to get anything written.

I feel like a writer again. To top it off, I've gotten two requests from agents this week for Lost Summer, and a request for some articles for the PA Chiefs of Police magazine.

Maybe I'm on a roll. And all because I bought a laptop.

Oh, and did I mention the wonders of wireless internet? That'll have to be another post. I have to get back to Chapter 5--Chris is just about to be arrested for murder...

3 comments:

Annette said...

Hey, Joyce, congrats on the agents!

I'm still among the few who do not own a laptop...YET. Since I just bought a new PC last fall, I have let the financial dust settle before I blow another chunk of change on computer equipment, but I want one. And after reading your blog, I want one NOW!

Mary Alice Gorman said...

Congrats on the requests. You go girl.

I LOOOOOOOOVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEE my network that allows me to work on the laptop in the LR and Richard works on the computer at the desk in the study!!!

Mary Alice...sitting and the desk so I know what you mean

Mary Alice Gorman said...

Congrats on the requests. You go girl.

I LOOOOOOOOVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEE my network that allows me to work on the laptop in the LR and Richard works on the computer at the desk in the study!!!

Mary Alice...sitting and the desk so I know what you mean