Wednesday, February 08, 2006

To Be or Not To Be...

A writer.

When I didn’t get the job at Pitt last week, I realized I needed to decide what it was I wanted to do. When the Pitt interview came up out of the blue, I thought maybe that was where I was supposed to be. The pay was good, the benefits even better, and if they had offered me the job, I would have taken it. But it was not to be.

For awhile I wondered why, but yesterday it dawned on me. I’m a writer. I’m supposed to write. I’ve taken for granted the fact that I have a part-time job that gives me the time to pursue my God-given talent. I believe that everyone is born with some kind of talent, even if not everyone is fortunate enough to know what that talent is. It should not be wasted.

I have to admit I’ve gotten lazy about writing. It’s too easy to go home from work and put it off, finding other things to do. No more. It doesn’t take all evening to make dinner and throw a load of laundry in the washer or dryer. In between those things, I should be at the computer writing something. If I’m not working on my book, I should be drafting an article or short story, or doing research. Yesterday afternoon (at work, I might add), I found some magazines to pitch some articles. I even have an idea for a monthly column that I’m sure I wouldn’t have thought of if I hadn’t been turned down for the Pitt job.

I’m not saying that if another full-time job came up I wouldn’t explore it. I definitely would, but I’d leave the final decision up to the One Who Knows Best. Which, most certainly, is not me.

2 comments:

Kristine said...

Joyce, I'm so sorry to hear about the interview, but I'm a firm believer that things happen for a reason. It sounds to me as if you're using this experience in a good way, however. I'm proud of you, and of course I'm here to help along that path in any way I can.
Kristine

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on setting up your blog. I like the format.
Regarding your recent epiphany in respect to your writing, I think you could amend the saying that success in writing is composed of 5 parts inspiration to 10 parts perspiration by adding a healthy dose of perserverance as well. Talent is important, but hanging in there is often what makes the difference between the published writer and the unpublished writer.
And may I offer another aphorism that seems apt? It is, simply: "Writers Write". That sign hangs over my computer.
Good luck, Joyce. I'm rooting for you.
Your friend and fellow Mysterywright, Sandy